In partnership with over 350 libraries, archives and museums (and growing), California Revealed is a California State Library initiative that helps public libraries, archives, museums, historical societies, and other heritage groups digitize, preserve, and provide online access to materials documenting the state’s history, art, and cultures. We also provide free access and preservation services for existing digital collections, including technical advice and guidance, for partner organizations with in-house digitization programs.
California Revealed gathers best archival practices for digitization and digital preservation, establishes low-cost, practical standards, and then manages digitization, online access, and digital preservation activities on behalf of partner organizations. Free public access is provided for teaching, study, and enjoyment. In addition, records are shared with Calisphere, WorldCat, the Digital Public Library of America, and the Home Movie Registry. More information about partner services and opportunities is available here.
California Revealed is grant-funded by the California State Library. Project operations are located at the California State Library in Sacramento.
We have an open Print Preservation Intern position available with a contract that will run through the end of June 2022. This is structured as an onsite position, with remote work possible, as needed. The team follows the California Department of Public Health’s COVID-19 Prevention Emergency Temporary Standards when onsite.
This position is open until filled and begins immediately. First review of applications will begin February 15, 2022 and continue on a rolling basis.
The Print Preservation Intern will help support the following activities:
- Inventory and describe digital and physical print materials.
- Normalize and standardize metadata in a content management system according to Dublin Core cataloging authority. Improves metadata to enhance discoverability of the California Revealed collections.
- Perform quality assurance and control of image and text files and metadata records.
- Prepare print collection materials for digitization.
- Pack print materials for shipping to digitization vendors.
- Assist with collection curation, development, and outreach.
- Post to California Revealed’s social media and contribute to the seasonal newsletter.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Interest in the fields of: archival science, library science, and print preservation.
- Interest in California history.
- Working knowledge of library and archives preservation principles, including digitization and metadata standards for long-term preservation and access.
- Experience with quality assurance and control procedures for digitized archival materials, specifically print materials.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud products such as Photoshop, Lightroom, and Bridge for quality control.
- Experience with handling and preservation of archival materials, specifically print materials.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently, in an environment where consultation, flexibility, and cooperation are essential.
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office applications in Mac environments, particularly Excel.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
$23/hour; up to 30 hrs/week or 480 hours total, for up to 4 months. The contract will run through June 30, 2022. Student workers are welcome to arrange internships for credit with their institution in addition to the financial compensation provided by California Revealed.
Internship applications must be submitted by Tuesday, February 15, 2022.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Pamela Vadakan, Director
California State Library
900 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814