What is the purpose of digitization and preservation without community access and connection?
Want to develop an exhibit?
Host a community digitization day?
Sponsor an archives crawl?
Host a screening or talk?
We're offering $5,000 awards to promote your collections!
In order to foster community discovery, engagement, and use of digital collections, we are pleased to announce a new funding opportunity called "Our Collections, Our Communities."
The California State Library invites California Revealed partners to apply for up to $5,000 in funding on a reimbursement basis for a project that integrates California Revealed collections into a new and/or existing outreach initiatives.
Initiatives can be online and/or in person, and can include activities, events, exhibits, publications, curriculum development, and/or artist commissions. Communities are defined locally, and regional collaborations across institutions are encouraged (check out our partner map). Audiences may include the general public, students, specialized researchers, educators, artists, journalists, and other content creators, private collectors, and donors.
Application deadline extended! Apply by Tuesday, March 31, 2020.
Awarded projects can begin as early as April 1, 2020 and must be completed by July 31, 2020.
Featured content must include content digitized by California Revealed and be of statewide and/or local historical significance that contributes to an understanding of the history of California and its people.
- The outreach initiative proposal budget may include funds for staffing, services and supplies (e.g., promotional materials) needed to complete the work (but not for computers, other equipment, or storage furniture). Neither digitization costs nor indirect costs can be covered by this funding.
- Institutions with successful proposals are awarded contracts. Project expenses incurred by the institution are reimbursed at the end of the contract after receipt of deliverables and documentation of expenses (e.g., original receipts, timesheets, invoices, payment stubs). Requests for reimbursement must be submitted no later than August 15, 2020 because the contracts will be funded from this year’s project funds.
- Open to California Revealed partners only.
- Featured collections must include content digitized or ingested by California Revealed, but not exclusively.
- Partner identifies the final deliverables, proposes a budget for the contract, and creates a timeline to complete the work between April 1 and July 31, 2020.
- Final deliverables include: a description of the outreach initiative(s), intended audience(s), budget and activity report, and copies of promotional materials, and/or any new commissioned works, if applicable.
- California Revealed will cross promote all outreach initiatives on California Revealed's website, newsletter, and social media.
Potential community engagement models can include (but are not limited to):
- Virtual or in-person exhibit based on a particular theme or community collaboration
- Collections crawl/open house
- Living history event
- Bodie State Historic Park: Friends of Bodie Day
- Community screening
- Artist commission
- Community archiving and digitizing
- Community history maps
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room: East Bay Yesterday
- Curriculum development
- California Historical Society: Teaching California
- Citizen Historians
- Stanford University Archives: Stanford Letters
Questions? Contact Pamela Vadakan, Director, California Revealed
We hope you are able to take advantage of this new funding opportunity to connect your communities with their local heritage and history!