Alviso Adobe on Piedmont Road in Santa Clara County (2087 Alviso Adobe Ct, Milpitas, CA 95035)
Alviso Adobe on Piedmont Road in Santa Clara County 2087 Alviso Adobe Ct, Milpitas, CA 95035 LTR: Ernestine C. Ponsford, Mrs. Samuel A. Dana and Mrs. F.Y. Chapman. The first story of the Alviso Adobe, which is located near the intersection of Piedmont Road and Calaveras Road, was built some time in 1835 by José Maria de Jesus Alviso, who had been granted title to the land on which it stands by the governor of Alta California, José Castro, on September 23, 1835. Alviso raised cattle on the extensive land and also grew crops. Near the time when Alviso died, in 1853, the second story we still see was built. Later, in 1858, Juana Galindo Alviso, widow of José Maria, married José Urridias, who as manager of the rancho, gradually sold off acreage as needed for cash. Their daughter, Maria de Los Angeles Alviso Sepulveda, inherited the adobe and the land immediately surrounding it. She and her husband, Bartolo Sepulveda, sold more of the land and eventually the property was acquired by the Cuciz family about 1922. The Cuciz family planted orchards of fruit trees, built a water tank house, a barn (partly constructed of timbers salvaged from three now- vanished adobes that once stood south of the main house), a carriage shed, a drying shed, a power generator, and other improvements. The Cuciz family sold the property to the Calvary Assembly of God Church in the early 1980s. The adobe remained inhabited from the time it was built until it became city property – perhaps the oldest continuously inhabited adobe home in California. The City of Milpitas acquired the adobe in 1996. The house is now on the National Register of Historic Places. (Info from Milpitas Historical Society 1/6/2013).
2 Pages of 2
8 x 10 in.
Copyright status unknown. This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, its reproduction may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. This work is accessible for purposes of education and research. Transmission or reproduction of works protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. Washington Township Museum of Local History attempted to find rights owners without success but is eager to hear from them so that we may obtain permission, if needed. Upon request to email@example.com, digitized works can be removed from public view if there are rights issues that need to be resolved.