Whittier and Its Government
Notes to User
Mostly silent. Only audio from 00:00:45-52 and 00:02:46-49 and cut-off mid-sentence.
Whittier and Its Government
November 24th, 1961
This film offers a view of Whittier in the early 1960s, a time when the town, like much of Southern California, was transitioning from reliance on the agricultural industry to the manufacturing industry. The expansion of the 605 freeway into West Whittier in 1955 encouraged use of Whittier as a bedroom community of Los Angeles. The city annexation of East Whittier in 1961 led to the development of former ranch and orchard land into housing subdivisions, which supported the population boom: between 1940 and 1960, the city population doubled (from 16k to 33.5k residents).
Creators and Contributors
Creator: City of Whittier
Copyright status unknown. This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, its reproduction may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. This work is accessible for purposes of education and research. Transmission or reproduction of works protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. The Whittier Museum attempted to find rights owners without success but is eager to hear from them so that we may obtain permission, if needed. Upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org, digitized works can be removed from public view if there are rights issues that need to be resolved.
Country of Creation
Internet Archive (External)
Additional Technical Notes for Item
CAVPP believes these rolls of film may be production elements, intended to be edited together. Two rolls, marked "A" and "B & Cue," are each housed in a metal canister. Accompanying each of these two rolls is a roll of white film. In each canister is a stack of notecards (six in "A," ten in "B & Cue"), which CAVPP believes are timing instructions for the lab with light levels by footage count. They are titled "Whittier Gov't," each having four columns and fourteen rows of numbers. One column is labeled "Scene" and another is labeled "Prod." The "A" canister is dated 1961-11-24, on a label marked "General Film Laboratories" (Hollywood). "B & Cue" canister is dated 1963-07-18 on same type of label. On the inside of each canister is taped a piece of paper titled "General Film Laboratories Cut Negative Cleaning & Printing Record." "A" was cleaned 1962-01-16 by a G-3 machine. "B & Cue" was cleaned 1963-07-22 by a G3 machine. "A" canister has a strip of fabric tape along its edge on which it is written in marker "Bondheim Films - Whittier & Govt. - A-Roll." "B & Cue" canister is marked "Company: Bondheim" on its label. However, the "A" roll is marked "Company: City of Whittier." Rolls of film smell strongly of vinegar. Media Preserve reports: These are the A+B rolls. R02 and r04 are actually just leader that is used for cuing during printing – we don’t need to digitize these. There is also no soundtrack. CAVPP proceeded with the scanning and syncing of the A+B rolls (only r01 and r03, renamed as r02) for this title.