Outreach Assistance Awards: Our Collections, Our Communities
Connecting digitization and preservation to community access and engagement!
We're offering awards of up to $3,000 to promote your collections and make the most of archival materials digitized by California Revealed!
In order to foster community discovery and engagement with digital collections, we are pleased to announce the next round of funding for Our Collections, Our Communities.
The California State Library invites all California Revealed partners to apply for up to $3,000 in funding on a reimbursement basis to support an outreach initiative that integrates California Revealed collections.
Initiatives can be online and/or in person, and may include activities, events, exhibits, publications, curriculum development, and/or artist commissions. See below for a list of specific examples of applicable community outreach projects. Communities are defined locally, and we strongly encourage regional collaborations across institutions (check out our partner map). We are especially interested in promoting educational uses of the California Revealed collection, so first consideration will be given to projects involving educators and students.
Application deadline: Friday, December 3, 2021.
Please fill out the Our Collections, Our Communities 2021/2022 Application Form
Please use this working document of all application questions to prepare your application.
- The outreach initiative proposal budget may include funds for staffing, services and supplies (e.g., promotional materials) needed to complete the work (but not for computers, other equipment, or storage furniture). Neither digitization costs nor indirect costs can be covered by this funding.
- Institutions with successful proposals are awarded contracts. Project expenses incurred by the institution are reimbursed at the end of the contract after receipt of deliverables and documentation of expenses (e.g., original receipts, timesheets, invoices, payment stubs). Requests for reimbursement must be submitted no later than Friday, August 12, 2022.
- Open to California Revealed partners only.
- Featured collections must include content digitized or ingested by California Revealed
- Featured content must be of statewide and/or local historical significance that contributes to an understanding of the history of California and its people.
- Partner identifies the final deliverables, proposes a budget for the contract, and creates a timeline to complete the work between January 1 and August 1, 2022.
- Final deliverables include: a description of the outreach initiative(s), intended audience(s), budget and activity report, and copies of promotional materials, and/or any new commissioned works, if applicable.
- California Revealed will cross promote all outreach initiatives on California Revealed's website, newsletter, and social media.
Examples of community engagement models
- Virtual or in-person exhibit based on a particular theme or community collaboration
- Collections crawl or open house
Living history event
- Bodie State Historic Park: Friends of Bodie Day
- Community screening
- Artist commission
- University of California, Ethnomusicology Archive: Our Culture Resounds, Our Future Reveals: A Legacy of Filipino American Performing Arts in California
- Community archiving
- Community history tour
- Curriculum development
- Stanford University Archives: Stanford Letters
Contact Pamela Vadakan, Director, California Revealed