California Revealed is a State Library initiative to help California’s public libraries, in partnership with other local heritage groups, digitize, preserve, and provide online access to archival materials - books, newspapers, photographs, audiovisual recordings, and more - that tell the incredible stories of the Golden State. We also provide free access and preservation services for existing digital collections, including technical advice and guidance, for partner organizations with in-house digitization programs.
The California Revealed digital preservation service:
- assists partners to identify historically important materials in their collections
- assists partners with minimum cataloging for unprocessed collections with an eye towards improving discoverability/li>
- aggregates, standardizes, and maps metadata for ingest to the digital repository, and maintains metadata updates
- inspects the condition of materials received from partners
- confirms materials received against their associated metadata
- processes and sends materials to digitization service providers
- manages the complete digitization workflow in accordance with FADGI guidelines and best practices
- performs quality control on digital objects received from service providers
- uploads digital objects and metadata to the California Revealed digital asset management system for online access
- packages digital objects for ingest in the digital repository
- provides offline preservation storage on redundant, geographically dispersed Linear Tape-Open (LTO) data tape, including annual integrity checks
- provides free public online access
- shares metadata in WorldCat, Calisphere and Digital Public Library of America
- delivers local workshops on best practices for digital preservation, access, and outreach, catered to partners’ collection needs
Funding was received from the California State Library. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this collection do not necessarily reflect those of the funder.
Comments or questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.